Friday 9 March 2012

If only I had known better.
     I have just completed a 3 days short course on Dementia by Tsao Foundation.  It is said that 1 person around the world is stricken by this disease every 7 seconds.   In Singapore, the estimate is that the population afflicted by dementia will be trebled in 20 years time (from some 15,000 now to abt 45,000 then).
     People afflicted by dementia appear physically normal - just that their brains are progressively wasting away.   They are literally 'handicapped'  in their brains, something that cannot be seen.  Hence, there have been much misunderstanding about the elderly afflicted with this disease, with others treating them as mad, crazy, abusive, violent, et cetra.  There is just so little education and publicity about the disease to the general public.  This dreaded disease strikes at random and at present cannot be cured, though the deterioration of the brain function can be delayed through medication if detected early.
     My mother is a dementia sufferer, for the past 6 years.  I have seen the deterioration of her mental functions through this period from early stage dementia to present, where she is literally in her own world oblivious of the surrounding and people (all her family members).  It's so sad to see her slowly losing her own identity and self..
     I have a much better understanding of dementia now, and IF ONLY I HAD KNOWN BETTER before the onset of this disease, I would have done things differently.  What? How? ????????  Too late to regret.
     With a better understanding of the disease,  I will share the knowledge with all my siblings especially my 2 brothers who are staying with her.   We will put in more effort to improve her quality of life, through more interactions, attention and much much more love.  I always treasure the times I spend with her, every 3 weeks in PJ.  I look forward to seeing her again on my next trip in 2 weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment